Linux users frequently have to uncompress .tar, .gzip, or .zip files. There are GUI utilities that can do this, but there may be instances where you have to do this from a Linux command shell. The following commands covers the most used compression formats for Linux.
Uncompressing a .tar File
tar -xvf file.tar
Uncompressing a .gz File
Uncompressing a .zip File
Uncompressing a .tar.gz File
tar -xvf file.tar
Or you can uncompress both formats in one command:
tar -zxvf file.tar.gz
An OS X machine may have trouble finding computers on a Windows network while browsing a local network with the Finder. This may be due to NetBIOS not installed on the Windows Machine. The NetBIOS Extended User Interface (NetBEUI) is no longer supported on Windows XP (see knowledge base article 306059), so it needs to be installed manually.
Its not known if its possible to install NetBEUI in Windows Vista. If you can’t connect to a Vista machine by TCP/IP, Apple needs to make a workaround or fix the bug that causes this.
Installing NetBEUI on Windows XP
- Locate the Valueadd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI folder on your Windows XP installation CD.
- Copy the Nbf.sys file to the \System32\Drivers folder on your Windows XP folder (its normally named WINDOWS).
- Copy the Netnbf.inf file to the Windows \Inf folder which is a hidden folder. To unhide the folder, see Unhiding Folders in Windows below.
- Click Start, go to Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
- Find the network adapter you are using and right click on it, then select Properties.
- Open the General tab, click Install, click Protocol, and then click Add.
- Select the NetBEUI Protocol and click OK.
- The protocol will then be installed. You may need to reboot your computer.
Unhiding Folders in Windows
- Open Windows Explorer. This can be done quickly by pressing the Windows key and E, or by right-clicking on the Start and selecting Explore.
- Open the Tools menu, select Folder Options, and select the View tab.
- Locate Hidden files and folders in the Advanced settings and click Show hidden files and folders.