Testing WordPress with WP Security Scan
In today’s world, attacks on web sites by hackers are common. We need to take precautions to prevent the security in our web sites from being compromised. There isn’t any built-in utility for WordPress to test security, but there is a plugin by Michael Torbert that can be installed for this purpose.
WP Security Scan examines a WordPress installation for security problems and if it finds them, recommends a course of action to correct them.
Some of the functions that it performs are:
- test the strength of passwords
- examine file permissions to prevent unauthorized usage
- checks the security of the database
- hides the version number of WordPress
- protect the WordPress admin account
- remove the WP Generator META tag from the core code
The plugin is easy to install and it found several problems on my blog, which were also easy to fix. I strongly recommend all WordPress users install this extension and properly security their web site.
You can download WP Security Scan at wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-security-scan/.