Sep 30 2008
If you try to download a file with .ppd extension on a web site hosted by Windows 2008 Server, an error message will be returned to the user. The same problem will occur for any file extension not recognized by the web server.
You can fix this problem by adding a MIME type for PPD files with the following steps:
- Open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
- Locate your web site in the Sites folder.
- Open MIME Types in the IIS section.
- Right click the mouse button and select Add.
- Enter the following information in the fields below:
File name extension: .ppd
MIME type: application/ppd-adobe
- Press OK and the MIME type will be active.
The MIME type I created for PPD files probably isn’t accurate, but it doesn’t have to be. You can enter any value here. It will force the file to be downloaded because it can’t find the application to run it.
The same procedure can be used to setup any other file extension that your web site uses.