I just installed WindowsServer 2008 and when it asked me to select the password for the admin login, I wasnâ€™t able to choose a password that it would accept. There was no option to explain the minimum requirements, so I searched on the Internet and found Microsoftâ€™s Domain Policy Settings which explain this.
Minimum Password Requirements
- A password cannot have the userâ€™s account name or use parts of their full name with more than two sequential characters.
- Minimum password length is 6 characters.
- A password must include 3 of any of the below items:
- Uppercase letters (A to Z).
- Lowercase letters (a to z).
- Numbers (0 to 9).
- Characters other than letters or numbers (i.e. !, $, #, %).
- password is not valid, while Passw0rd is valid (there is zero where the â€œoâ€ was)
- a12345 is not valid, while a12345A is valid
- Aa123 is not valid, while Aa1234 is valid