When I installed AutoCAD 2012, it changed the file type of .scr to AutoCAD Script. This made it difficult to write screen savers because I wasnâ€™t able to run them anymore after they were compiled.
Restoring the file association isnâ€™t very difficult. One solution is to run assoc .scr=scrfile in the command shell. If this doesnâ€™t work, open Windows Explorer and follow these steps:
- Open the Tools menu and select Folder Options.
- Select the File Types tab.
- Press the New button.
- Enter scr in the File Extension text box.
- Press the Advanced button.
- Select Screen Saver in the Associated File Type.
- Press OK and allow the change to a new file type.
Now when you run an .scr file, it displays the screen saver.